Rainy days and Mondays. . .
Apparently I wasn't meant to have a good Monday. I get into work and Kathy, the clinical pharmacist I work with, called in sick with food poisoning. Ok, I still have the two pharmacy students who can see patients while I manage the phones, etc. Then one of the students brings her 4-year-old son in with her, not realizing President's Day meant her day-care would be closed. (I suspect she had a newsletter or calendar or something, but chose to ignore that.) I waited about 20 minutes and asked her if someone was coming to pick him up. Apparently not--so I sent her home and told her she would have to deal with Kathy later to see about making up hours or whatever. So now I am seeing patients in one room with the other student in the other room who still needs to check her treatment plans with me because I will have to sign off on them. . . and the phone is ringing off the hook. She leaves about 1:00 because her mother is going into surgery and she wanted to be there--understandable and the afternoon schedule could be handled by one person. The problem was, the phone calls still had to be returned and I was getting lab results in that I needed to followup with the patients, so I worked through lunch and didn't leave until 7:15 p.m., 10 hours and 45 minutes after I had arrived. I know my dear husband works long hours many times, but this isn't what I signed up for.
Well, today was much better--in fact, I was almost bored. About 2:45 Kathy told me I could leave if I wanted and I didn't wait to see if she was serious. I packed it in--all the work was really done except for the last 3-4 patients and both students were in today to see them. So off I went to the grocery store and then home. Tomorrow is exceptionally light, so I will probably be falling asleep from boredom, but maybe I can get some CE articles read and tests taken. License renewal is in May and I think I may need 20 hours of continuing education--which I already have, but I like to keep up with the current literature in nursing anyway.
All's well that ends well.
Well, today was much better--in fact, I was almost bored. About 2:45 Kathy told me I could leave if I wanted and I didn't wait to see if she was serious. I packed it in--all the work was really done except for the last 3-4 patients and both students were in today to see them. So off I went to the grocery store and then home. Tomorrow is exceptionally light, so I will probably be falling asleep from boredom, but maybe I can get some CE articles read and tests taken. License renewal is in May and I think I may need 20 hours of continuing education--which I already have, but I like to keep up with the current literature in nursing anyway.
All's well that ends well.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home