Adventures in Dining
So Tim, Matt and I decided to try a new Mexican restaurant that opened here. Tim and I had seen that last Sunday they have a Sunday buffet, but we didn't feel like cooking and went out to get something to eat last night. This place is where Joe's Crab Shack used to be--should have left it there. They didn't do a lot to change the decor--took down all the seafood stuff and left it fairly plain, but the table arrangement is very similar and contributes to a noisy ambience. It didn't help that a few tables away there was a table of 30-somethings where the one woman thought she was "all that and then some" and was flirting with our waiter and anyone else who would pay any attention to her and had a loud, obnoxious laugh and way of talking.
I ordered a "pick three--or pick four for $1 more". The chicken soup was promising--plain but had a very nice flavor. Then the meal came. It was all okay, but nothing special. I ordered a fried ice cream for dessert which came in a fried cinnamon bowl. The ice cream was covered in coconut, but was not like any fried ice cream I have ever had. Anyway, we decided after leaving that there are at least three other Mexican restaurants nearby that we like much better and will never go back to this place. I think it's a chain called Lalo's Mexican Restauarant, but the name on the building looks like "Mexican Restaurant" with a squiggle in front of it.
So today instead of going to church with my husband, I am sitting home sick. I know it's not food poisoning because I'm not that sick, but apparently this stuff just did not agree with me. Another good reason to stay away from this place.
Tomorrow--another week of work--then I get a long weekend to go to Missouri Valley! and the next week only a three-day work week.
I ordered a "pick three--or pick four for $1 more". The chicken soup was promising--plain but had a very nice flavor. Then the meal came. It was all okay, but nothing special. I ordered a fried ice cream for dessert which came in a fried cinnamon bowl. The ice cream was covered in coconut, but was not like any fried ice cream I have ever had. Anyway, we decided after leaving that there are at least three other Mexican restaurants nearby that we like much better and will never go back to this place. I think it's a chain called Lalo's Mexican Restauarant, but the name on the building looks like "Mexican Restaurant" with a squiggle in front of it.
So today instead of going to church with my husband, I am sitting home sick. I know it's not food poisoning because I'm not that sick, but apparently this stuff just did not agree with me. Another good reason to stay away from this place.
Tomorrow--another week of work--then I get a long weekend to go to Missouri Valley! and the next week only a three-day work week.

1 Comments:
At 1:09 PM,
TT said…
Lalo's is a chain, but the chain is a local one, with 11 restaurants around Chicago.
I'm still leaning toward the food poisoning explanation, just a very mild case. It's not that the place was really actively bad, though, it's that what they had wasn't to my taste. Like you said, if I want Mexican food there are 3 or 4 places that I'd choose ahead of this one, including two that are a half-mile away.
And, if they thought that the peppers on Matt's plate were Poblano peppers, they need to look up the definition of Poblano pepper. Those were some of the spiciest damn peppers I've ever tasted.
Post a Comment
<< Home