Penguinladi's Ponderings

My place to share with family and friends.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Summer of changes

Brian has added two new children to his life, my kids are home looking for jobs. . . and I will be starting a new job soon!

Got the call today just before I went to shower for work and I will have a new full time job as of August 6. I may start a bit earlier part-time, but I felt that I should give four weeks notice to Marianjoy. My new position is as a Coumadin nurse. Coumadin is a drug that must be closely monitored as it inhibits platelet coagulation. Most people call it their "blood thinner". It doesn't technically thin the blood, but prevents the platelets in the blood from forming clots inside the veins which can travel to the brain and cause a stroke; to the heart and cause a heart attack; or to the lungs and cause suffocation. Some people take it short-term after knee or hip replacements, others are on it for life after a stroke, heart attack, or with certain heart conditions. My job will be to see people on a schedule (like the doctor), monitor their medication and INR (a blood test that tells us if the dose is right or not) and do a lot of patient teaching. I will also monitor some people over the phone. I will be working with a pharmacist and a doctor very closely, but the job is also very autonomous. I will be in training for two months before I will practice on my own.

The job is full time, Monday through Friday, daytime, no weekends, no holidays. I will have to find out what the Christmas holiday season looks like, what hours they expect, etc. I am so excited and the job sounds just perfect for me!

3 Comments:

  • At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations! I hope this will be less physically draining. A regular schedule without late nights and week ends sounds good.I'm happy for you.

     
  • At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats Sis!!! Finally you can be normal (?)!!!!!! Or at least work a normal schedule. Maybe I will be able to talk to you more since you will be home in the evening and I dont have to think about calling you in the mornings before you go to work. You will have to let us know what the holidays bring for you as far as a schedule.

    Love ya

     

Post a Comment

<< Home