Penguinladi's Ponderings

My place to share with family and friends.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Sometimes I just hate people!

Math class is driving me to drink! It's not the actual work that is getting to me, but the students. I mean, I did do poorly in my last test (66% which has now dropped my grade to a 79% or "C", but I should be able to raise that), but the immaturity of the 18-20 year olds in my class is just staggering. Since our original instructor is now on maternity leave, we have a substitute who is also teaching another section of this class and she does know what she is doing. I don't particularly like her teaching style and I think she is boring, has a monotone voice, and absolutely no personality, but she is the instructor and deserves at least a minimal amount of respect. But these kids are rude, talking and laughing in the back of the classroom while she is teaching and whining about everything. On the last test she had ONE question that may have come from a previouschapter and they whined "that's not fair!" Umm, yes it is because this material is building on each chapter and it's something you should know anyway. I even got it wrong, but I knew I put the wrong answer almost as soon as I walked out of the classroom because the lightbulb went off in my head. Now she announces that she wants to have a quiz on Monday and then a full exam on Wednesday. They whined that they wouldn't know what they did wrong and could the exam be on Friday instead. She offered to have copies of the answer key to pick up after the quiz, but that wasn't good enough. They want time to go over the quiz and then take the test the next class period. Look people--we are already over a WEEK behind in the material, she is trying to catch us up before the final. Take some responsibility for your own learning and don't expect to be spoon-fed the material. This isn't high school anymore. GROW UP!! I hope my own kids don't behave that way in class. There are better ways to let the instructors know that you don't like something or disagree with them--like after class or during office hours privately. Whining and talking during class are just plain disrespectful and rude!

This kind of behavior has gone on for the last three class periods, so I was especially frustrated yesterday with all of this going on. I decide to stop into Panera for lunch. I'm standing, patiently waiting my turn for a cashier when this self-important guy walks around me and right up to a cashier who was helping someone else. He's waving his money and interrupts the other person's order to order his "ice tea" or whatever. OK--I can understand you only want a drink, but WAIT YOUR TURN. Do we need to send some of these people back to kindergarten to learn some manners? And then when a cashier opened up, I try to step up to the counter, but he walks in front of me and then just stops to talk to the person he is with. Doesn't try to get out of other people's way--just acts like he owns the store and no one else's time is important. I said "Excuse me" in a very sarcastic manner and the gal he was with apologized, he just glared at me like how dare I interrupt his conversation to ask him to move! Oh, well, I got my food and came home to relax before nursing class.

So I get to nursing class. Good news is the group project for this class is basically done--just a few tweaks and it's in someone else's hands right now to finish the power point presentation. Still have a research critique to do and some chapter quizzes to finish from the CD for next Wednesday and I'll be on to the next class, "Health Assessment", which has to be more interesting than "Research" has been! Anyway, the instructor makes an announcement that everyone in the class who had passed Statistics with a "C" or better did not have to take the math skills class. OK--does this mean that I've wasted the last 12 weeks and stressed out over math for nothing? Since I only have 4 weeks of math left, I will finish it out and receive the credit for it. My statistics from my accounting degree 25 years ago got me out of taking Statistics with this group, but I doubt that it would also then count for the math skills. Better to have the credits posted to my transcript and know that I have done everything I need to than to find out at the end of the year I can't graduate because I'm short one class.

So I guess that's really all the news that's fit to print. Sorry for the venting. Until next time!

2 Comments:

  • At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, people suck.

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You just need to get away and come to Iowa and see your sister!!!!!
    Hope your day is better...

    Love ya

     

Post a Comment

<< Home