Penguinladi's Ponderings

My place to share with family and friends.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The Streets of San Francisco

Okay--so the feet are really tired tonight--but it was a fun day.

Started the day by going to the mall near the Super 8 where we are staying because I knew they had a Foot Locker. But apparently only Lady Footlocker stores carry the Ryka walking shoes I like and there was not one at this mall. But there was one in downtown San Francisco right by the train station where we get off.

I had tried to buy the shoes in Aurora before leaving, but they were out of my size. So I bought something else, but discovered the Nikes just don't support my feet like the Rykas do. And with all the walking we've been doing, I needed the shoes I like.

Well, the downtown store didn't have them either, but they sent me to a sporting store that had a large shoe department where I was able to finally purchase my shoes! Then we were off and running (more or less). Walked a bit in downtown SF and decided to stop at the Betty Boop Diner for a bit of lunch. Tim and I both had the "Boop-oop-de-boop"--a hamburger with grilled onions, melted Swiss cheese and a slice of avocado. It was very good. The staff had a little run-in with a homeless man--he wanted some hot water, but was asked to leave. So he spat on the door after he left. After we left the diner, we headed (on foot) to Chinatown. I told Tim later--at least I was getting my aerobic workout in! Found some interesting presents--but that's all I'm saying! Then we walked a few more blocks and toured the cable car museum. It was interesting to see how they work with the cables running under the street and how the cars are basically pulled along the cable.

Then a new experience in SF--rode the bus to the top of Telegraph Hill (Tim will correct me if I am wrong on this) to tour Coit tower. From the top of the tower you get a 360 degree view of the surrounding area. The only thing that we couldn't see too well was the Golden Gate bridge because there was too much fog. Caught the bus back down the hill and back to Fisherman's Wharf to spend more money. Had to buy spoons, thimbles, bells, and playing cards for the kids. Have been picking up a few pressed pennies as well. Bought a couple of books on the history of Alcatraz, some windchimes for the front porch and then headed to Ghiardelli for chocolate. Stopped at an Italian place for dinner where I had salmon fettucine (yummy!) and Tim had some pasta dish I can't remember the name of. Obtained the chocolate, caught the cable car back to downtown, then the train back to the motel. Very chilly tonight, glad to be where it's warm.

Tomorrow--wine country!

2 Comments:

  • At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    GLAD YOU ARE HAVING FUN. I AM THINKING OF YOU. WILL THIS BE ANOTHER PLACE THAT IS A "MUST SEE" FOR ME LIKE ORLANDO IS?

    LOVE YA
    SIS

     
  • At 8:52 PM, Blogger Nurse Penguinladi said…

    Only if you do this one on your own. I don't think we'd enjoy the same things here. But I'm ready for Disneyworld next fall if you are!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home