Job interview
Went to a job interview today. The position is Nurse liason for the hospital I work for now, so this would be a transfer. It involves going out to the different hospitals in the area and obtaining referrals for admission to the rehab hospital. I wasn't sure what all the job required, so I figured I would interview and see what it involved. I talked with one of the nurses who helped orient me on the floor two years ago and who is doing the job right now. It is a full-time position, but it sounded more like 60+ hours a week of work and that you become tied to the job, even on your "off" time. There are six positions, I think four or five nurses are doing the job now and it sounded like they all always take work home with them.
Long story short--I'm not taking this position. I like the fact that when I clock out at night, I can leave work at work. I am done for the evening. If I do stay late to catch up on charting, I get paid for those hours. The above position is a salaried position, so no matter how much time I put into it, I get paid the same. Plus, I would have to wear a pager and possibly get paged even on holidays and weekends. Not the career path I am looking for. So, I will keep my present job for now. I have no real complaints with the job, other than some of the lifting. It looks like we will have better equipment in the new building and possibly some ceiling mounted lifting devices to help with transfers. The bariatric rooms (for the very large patient) will be located on another floor, so perhaps we won't have to deal with as much of that as in the past. We will have to see.
The most recent aides to have been hired seem to be doing fairly well. At least they do work hard in the beginning of the shift so they can just answer call lights and sit at the end of the shift. I don't care as long as they get their work done and we can all work together on those transfers that require more than one person. Most of the time they ask each other to help out and don't bother the nurses--so much the better as long as they are doing safe transfers. I don't want them getting hurt either.
No other news right now. Just lots of little stuff I want to get done--stuff for Christmas and house cleaning--but that is always there. Looking forward to vacation coming up the end of the week. Then, when I get back to work, we'll be getting ready to move into the new building--oh joy, oh joy!
Long story short--I'm not taking this position. I like the fact that when I clock out at night, I can leave work at work. I am done for the evening. If I do stay late to catch up on charting, I get paid for those hours. The above position is a salaried position, so no matter how much time I put into it, I get paid the same. Plus, I would have to wear a pager and possibly get paged even on holidays and weekends. Not the career path I am looking for. So, I will keep my present job for now. I have no real complaints with the job, other than some of the lifting. It looks like we will have better equipment in the new building and possibly some ceiling mounted lifting devices to help with transfers. The bariatric rooms (for the very large patient) will be located on another floor, so perhaps we won't have to deal with as much of that as in the past. We will have to see.
The most recent aides to have been hired seem to be doing fairly well. At least they do work hard in the beginning of the shift so they can just answer call lights and sit at the end of the shift. I don't care as long as they get their work done and we can all work together on those transfers that require more than one person. Most of the time they ask each other to help out and don't bother the nurses--so much the better as long as they are doing safe transfers. I don't want them getting hurt either.
No other news right now. Just lots of little stuff I want to get done--stuff for Christmas and house cleaning--but that is always there. Looking forward to vacation coming up the end of the week. Then, when I get back to work, we'll be getting ready to move into the new building--oh joy, oh joy!

2 Comments:
At 8:40 PM,
Kalen said…
Yeah, it really doesn't sound like that job would have worked out for you. Oh well, at least it sounds like you've got some good new aides. And yay for vacation time!
At 4:11 PM,
Anonymous said…
I thought when you said it was a salaried position that it might involve far too many hours. I think you made a wise choice.
Edna
Post a Comment
<< Home