Gen Con report
I felt really busy at Gen Con and tired all the time (couldn't sleep for whatever reason), but I don't think I really did all that much except walk, walk, walk! I felt like I did more walking than actually participating in activities.
Drove to Chambana with three cars, drop Matt off, see his apartment (well, mostly Beamer's stuff taking up all the free space in the apartment and a sink full of dirty dishes). Then off to dinner and more driving until we reach the motel for the night. This was probably the best sleep I had for the week, but got up too early for my sleep schedule I'm on now.
Wednesday--back in the car and slept until we got to Indy. While the boys went and did their game master stuff, the girls went off to help set up True Dungeon, I tried to find a place to set up my computer and work on balancing the checkbook and paying bills because I hadn't gotten it done before. The only problem was, I had to pack up every thing about once an hour when I had to go to the bathroom--I just didn't feel safe leaving my stuff out there in the open. I was much happier once we were able to check into the Hilton Garden Inn and get into our room. Then I could set up, listen to the TV and get stuff done and take a little nap. I decided about 10 p.m. I was hungry for supper, but apparently they close everything within walking distance of that hotel at 10 p.m. except for the bars. So I went back to the hotel, went to their 24-hour pantry and bought some ice cream. Not a nutritious supper, but it did the trick.
Thursday--I didn't have anything until after lunch, so I slept in a little. Like Kalen said in her blog, this gal was very intent on telling us what was period appropriate and how we shouldn't use metal grommets, zippers, or elastic in the costumes because these things weren't available during the Renaissance (sp?). I wanted to ask her if she wore contemporary undergarments under her costume or if she made "period-appropriate" undergarments as well! And this was supposed to be telling us how to chose appropriate fabrics. I was hoping to hear something about color schemes or something. I don't know what Kalen is talking about some smell in the tunnel--unless someone with bad "gamer funk" had gone through just before her. I didn't notice any smell in the walkways at all and I'm the one with the sensitive nose. I walked back and forth through there several times over the course of the weekend and never noticed anything except the smell of the food court once you got closer to the mall. I had a good time during our True Dungeon run, even if I didn't help out much. I was the bard--I got to sing for "inspiration" for the rest of the group. I am so out of shape for singing for extended periods of time! Thursday evening I went to a seminar about Medieval Feasts. The guy that led this likes to do a lot of cooking (see his web site: www.medievalcookery.com for recipes)
Friday--I met up with Kalen for the chainmail workshop. I didn't have a ticket, but had generics which are good for any event that has room. Well, I guess everyone showed up and the instructor may have had one extra set, but I let that go to another person who was there by themselves and Kalen and I just shared the materials. I watched her do it for a while and then she let me have a go at it. The materials were rather cheap anyway and if we are actually going to get into this craft, I want better tools. Then Narf and I went on a "field trip" set up by the convention to a winery for a wine tasting and winery tour. This was interesting because the guy doing our tasting didn't try to tell us things like "it has a hint of hickory wood with a fruity overtone". He just described the wines in everyday English. There was also a street fair going on--we checked out the dozen or so booths that were there, bought some wine to bring home, and the group was ready to go. Friday evening I went to a seminar about "Dressing and Undressing your Character". The guy that led this was the same one from the night before. He is an entertaining speaker. He had paintings that showed various articles of clothing from medieval times and talked about the undergarments, the "undercoat" and the "overcoat". He actually does wear period appropriate clothing from the skin out and showed us the various pieces of his costume including socks, shoes, etc. I learned a lot more about costuming here than I did the previous day.
This is the day Tim and I also had to move stuff and I checked us into the new hotel. I don't know by what stretch of the imagination a king-sized bed and a fold-out sleeper equals a request for a double with two queen-sized bed, but we worked it out. Probably one of the reasons I didn't sleep very well those two nights were that the two girls and I shared the king-sized bed. I guess I should be thankful I had a bed to sleep in!
Saturday--Lazied around a bit until it was time for Kalen and I to go to "Needleless Knitting". I had no idea what this would be, but it was crafty, so off we went! We learned knitting on circle looms--about the same basic concept as the weaving looms I used to use to make potholders. It is very easy--but I was surprised Kalen caught on more quickly than I did. I was having trouble with the furry yarn we were given--it just didn't have much stretch and I couldn't see the stitches so I knew what I was doing. I got the hang of it better after I got home to my worsted weight yarn. Saturday night was the KODT reading--a comic book that satirizes D&D. You'll have to read Kalen's blog and follow the link there to read the full story. A very enjoyable 2 hours!
Sunday--packed up and went to my jewlery making workshop where I made Kalen a beaded bracelet and earrings to match. Another hobby to buy stuff for! I better get some of my back projects done first before I spend too much money on new craft supplies or Tim will think I am taking over the house with my crafting goodies (like I don't already have stuff in the basement, Matt's room, the girls' room, and all over our bedroom!). Met back up with everyone, previewed Narf's game--which looks very good--and then off for home.
Home again, home again, glad to be back. I look forward to next year--just hope to plan things a bit better and maybe have two rooms for all of us so we can sleep better. Next it's off to San Francisco!
Note to children: Post something about your class schedules and your impressions so far for your grandmother and your mother.
Extended children: Write about school, job, whatever. I'm anxious to hear from all of you (Narf, Tony, #1 and Rob, #2). Nurse Mom says so! :)
Drove to Chambana with three cars, drop Matt off, see his apartment (well, mostly Beamer's stuff taking up all the free space in the apartment and a sink full of dirty dishes). Then off to dinner and more driving until we reach the motel for the night. This was probably the best sleep I had for the week, but got up too early for my sleep schedule I'm on now.
Wednesday--back in the car and slept until we got to Indy. While the boys went and did their game master stuff, the girls went off to help set up True Dungeon, I tried to find a place to set up my computer and work on balancing the checkbook and paying bills because I hadn't gotten it done before. The only problem was, I had to pack up every thing about once an hour when I had to go to the bathroom--I just didn't feel safe leaving my stuff out there in the open. I was much happier once we were able to check into the Hilton Garden Inn and get into our room. Then I could set up, listen to the TV and get stuff done and take a little nap. I decided about 10 p.m. I was hungry for supper, but apparently they close everything within walking distance of that hotel at 10 p.m. except for the bars. So I went back to the hotel, went to their 24-hour pantry and bought some ice cream. Not a nutritious supper, but it did the trick.
Thursday--I didn't have anything until after lunch, so I slept in a little. Like Kalen said in her blog, this gal was very intent on telling us what was period appropriate and how we shouldn't use metal grommets, zippers, or elastic in the costumes because these things weren't available during the Renaissance (sp?). I wanted to ask her if she wore contemporary undergarments under her costume or if she made "period-appropriate" undergarments as well! And this was supposed to be telling us how to chose appropriate fabrics. I was hoping to hear something about color schemes or something. I don't know what Kalen is talking about some smell in the tunnel--unless someone with bad "gamer funk" had gone through just before her. I didn't notice any smell in the walkways at all and I'm the one with the sensitive nose. I walked back and forth through there several times over the course of the weekend and never noticed anything except the smell of the food court once you got closer to the mall. I had a good time during our True Dungeon run, even if I didn't help out much. I was the bard--I got to sing for "inspiration" for the rest of the group. I am so out of shape for singing for extended periods of time! Thursday evening I went to a seminar about Medieval Feasts. The guy that led this likes to do a lot of cooking (see his web site: www.medievalcookery.com for recipes)
Friday--I met up with Kalen for the chainmail workshop. I didn't have a ticket, but had generics which are good for any event that has room. Well, I guess everyone showed up and the instructor may have had one extra set, but I let that go to another person who was there by themselves and Kalen and I just shared the materials. I watched her do it for a while and then she let me have a go at it. The materials were rather cheap anyway and if we are actually going to get into this craft, I want better tools. Then Narf and I went on a "field trip" set up by the convention to a winery for a wine tasting and winery tour. This was interesting because the guy doing our tasting didn't try to tell us things like "it has a hint of hickory wood with a fruity overtone". He just described the wines in everyday English. There was also a street fair going on--we checked out the dozen or so booths that were there, bought some wine to bring home, and the group was ready to go. Friday evening I went to a seminar about "Dressing and Undressing your Character". The guy that led this was the same one from the night before. He is an entertaining speaker. He had paintings that showed various articles of clothing from medieval times and talked about the undergarments, the "undercoat" and the "overcoat". He actually does wear period appropriate clothing from the skin out and showed us the various pieces of his costume including socks, shoes, etc. I learned a lot more about costuming here than I did the previous day.
This is the day Tim and I also had to move stuff and I checked us into the new hotel. I don't know by what stretch of the imagination a king-sized bed and a fold-out sleeper equals a request for a double with two queen-sized bed, but we worked it out. Probably one of the reasons I didn't sleep very well those two nights were that the two girls and I shared the king-sized bed. I guess I should be thankful I had a bed to sleep in!
Saturday--Lazied around a bit until it was time for Kalen and I to go to "Needleless Knitting". I had no idea what this would be, but it was crafty, so off we went! We learned knitting on circle looms--about the same basic concept as the weaving looms I used to use to make potholders. It is very easy--but I was surprised Kalen caught on more quickly than I did. I was having trouble with the furry yarn we were given--it just didn't have much stretch and I couldn't see the stitches so I knew what I was doing. I got the hang of it better after I got home to my worsted weight yarn. Saturday night was the KODT reading--a comic book that satirizes D&D. You'll have to read Kalen's blog and follow the link there to read the full story. A very enjoyable 2 hours!
Sunday--packed up and went to my jewlery making workshop where I made Kalen a beaded bracelet and earrings to match. Another hobby to buy stuff for! I better get some of my back projects done first before I spend too much money on new craft supplies or Tim will think I am taking over the house with my crafting goodies (like I don't already have stuff in the basement, Matt's room, the girls' room, and all over our bedroom!). Met back up with everyone, previewed Narf's game--which looks very good--and then off for home.
Home again, home again, glad to be back. I look forward to next year--just hope to plan things a bit better and maybe have two rooms for all of us so we can sleep better. Next it's off to San Francisco!
Note to children: Post something about your class schedules and your impressions so far for your grandmother and your mother.
Extended children: Write about school, job, whatever. I'm anxious to hear from all of you (Narf, Tony, #1 and Rob, #2). Nurse Mom says so! :)

6 Comments:
At 11:33 PM,
TT said…
I'm pretty sure your wine thing, with Narf, was on Saturday, not Friday. Other than that, the report sounds good.
At 12:53 AM,
Matt said…
Not like Dad hasn't already taken over the house with comics, game books, and minis.
At 11:13 AM,
Nurse Penguinladi said…
Yeah--the wine thing was on Saturday--I just got confused.
At 6:52 PM,
Kalen said…
That's okay, when I was writing my report, I was sitting there going, "What did I do between the costume seminar and volunteering on Thursday?" Uh, duh, True Dungeon! But it took me a good 5-10 minutes to think cause the days had started to blend in my head.
At 9:16 PM,
The Narf said…
*updating blog now*
At 12:07 AM,
The Narf said…
And done. Only 4 hours later!
Post a Comment
<< Home