It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
So the end of the vacation has come and I am happy to be home again. It was a good time, very relaxing, and nice to spend time with my husband away from work and other obligations.
Friday was the day we went to Monterey. Kalen had suggested we go to Fisherman's Wharf there as well as Cannery Row. We ended up only walking along Cannery Row and doing some shopping--not really a lot more to do here. There was a was museum with the history of John Steinbeck and his book "Cannery Row" which we opted out of. However, before we had headed down to Cannery Row, we stopped at a visitor's center and discovered a scenic drive along the coast line called "17 mile drive". And that seemed to be the actual name of the road. We only made about 10 miles of the drive, but it did take us three hours because we stopped at most of the interesting vista spots along the way and took pictures and enjoyed the scenery. This then placed us in Carmel to watch the sunset over the Pacific. Because it was so cloudy and by the time we found our way down to the ocean, the sun had mostly gone behind the clouds, but it was a nice view anyway.
Then it was a climb back up the hill and found a nice little restaurant called "The Grill". It was listed as California cuisine on our brochure. I had the butternut squash ravioli and Tim ended up with prime rib. We shared a pear/apple cobbler for dessert. A very nice meal and not too bad a price ($17.50 for the ravioli, $23.00 for the prime rib). Then a two-hour drive back to the motel where Tim promptly crashed!
Saturday morning we had decided to sleep in a bit, get a nice breakfast (we had just been grabbing juice and danish from the motel on our way out) and head for the airport. So breakfast was at IHOP not far from the motel and we got to the airport and to our gate 2 hours before takeoff. The ride home was a little bumpy, but we landed at 7:35 instead of the projected 8:03, collected our bags, retrieved the car and drove home with a supper stop at Portillo's.
Today has just been a lazy day. Tim was going to mow the lawn, got about half the backyard done before the rain came down hard. So, we've just had a relaxing Sunday afternoon. I'll work on laundry and cleaning house Monday and Tuesday, return to work on Wednesday.
Coming up: Weekend with my kids--Matthew on Saturday for the Iowa/Illinois game (Tim and Kalen will go to the game, Kathy and I will hang out and then take Matt out for his birthday dinner). Sunday we head to Normal for the girls' first choral concert and take out the kids for dinner again, this time with Ryan joining us. Then starting on Sept. 28, I will be part of the effort to move all the patients, etc. into the new hospital building. I have to take a 2-hour inservice to learn all the new equipment in the new building this week (I have four messages on my answering machine trying to get me to sign up for a time!). October 4-7 I will be attending a conference in Chicago, October 25-27 I have a class to prepare for the CRRN exam (certified rehabilitation registered nurse). Sometime in December I will take the exam.
Next update--??????????
Friday was the day we went to Monterey. Kalen had suggested we go to Fisherman's Wharf there as well as Cannery Row. We ended up only walking along Cannery Row and doing some shopping--not really a lot more to do here. There was a was museum with the history of John Steinbeck and his book "Cannery Row" which we opted out of. However, before we had headed down to Cannery Row, we stopped at a visitor's center and discovered a scenic drive along the coast line called "17 mile drive". And that seemed to be the actual name of the road. We only made about 10 miles of the drive, but it did take us three hours because we stopped at most of the interesting vista spots along the way and took pictures and enjoyed the scenery. This then placed us in Carmel to watch the sunset over the Pacific. Because it was so cloudy and by the time we found our way down to the ocean, the sun had mostly gone behind the clouds, but it was a nice view anyway.
Then it was a climb back up the hill and found a nice little restaurant called "The Grill". It was listed as California cuisine on our brochure. I had the butternut squash ravioli and Tim ended up with prime rib. We shared a pear/apple cobbler for dessert. A very nice meal and not too bad a price ($17.50 for the ravioli, $23.00 for the prime rib). Then a two-hour drive back to the motel where Tim promptly crashed!
Saturday morning we had decided to sleep in a bit, get a nice breakfast (we had just been grabbing juice and danish from the motel on our way out) and head for the airport. So breakfast was at IHOP not far from the motel and we got to the airport and to our gate 2 hours before takeoff. The ride home was a little bumpy, but we landed at 7:35 instead of the projected 8:03, collected our bags, retrieved the car and drove home with a supper stop at Portillo's.
Today has just been a lazy day. Tim was going to mow the lawn, got about half the backyard done before the rain came down hard. So, we've just had a relaxing Sunday afternoon. I'll work on laundry and cleaning house Monday and Tuesday, return to work on Wednesday.
Coming up: Weekend with my kids--Matthew on Saturday for the Iowa/Illinois game (Tim and Kalen will go to the game, Kathy and I will hang out and then take Matt out for his birthday dinner). Sunday we head to Normal for the girls' first choral concert and take out the kids for dinner again, this time with Ryan joining us. Then starting on Sept. 28, I will be part of the effort to move all the patients, etc. into the new hospital building. I have to take a 2-hour inservice to learn all the new equipment in the new building this week (I have four messages on my answering machine trying to get me to sign up for a time!). October 4-7 I will be attending a conference in Chicago, October 25-27 I have a class to prepare for the CRRN exam (certified rehabilitation registered nurse). Sometime in December I will take the exam.
Next update--??????????

3 Comments:
At 10:10 AM,
Kalen said…
I'm actually thinking that 17 mile drive thing is the same road we drove along when we were looking for ocean access. We drove through Carmel to Big Sur, then turned around and wound up back in Carmel just as the sun went down.
At 10:49 AM,
TT said…
It's probably not the same, unless you paid to get on it ($8.75). The 17 mile drive is basically from Monterrey to Carmel an back, and winds down by the seaside and back up through the foothills around four golf courses (including Pebble Beach) and the town of Pebble Beach, CA. So, ritzy area.
At 10:49 AM,
Nurse Penguinladi said…
But did you stop at a gate and pay $8.50 for access to the road? It was very obvious that this is what you had to do unless you went in on the lane that said "residents". It was still worthwhile and I loved the scenery!
Post a Comment
<< Home